Transferring to iOS from Another Platform
We’re delighted to offer our customers the opportunity to transfer (most of) their previous Palm OS / Windows Mobile purchases to the iOS version of Pleco free-of-charge, allowing them to be used on Apple iPhones, iPods, and iPads.
Please note that due to circumstances beyond our control, copies of Pleco transferred to iOS from Palm/WM can only be used on one device at a time. So if you want to use your old Pleco purchase on both an iPhone and an iPad, for example, you’d need to purchase a second copy of Pleco for that, though that new copy (purchased originally on iOS) would then also be usable on any other compatible iPhone / iPod / iPad that syncs with the same iTunes account.
Also please note that the Stroke Order Diagrams add-ons cannot be transferred over from Palm/WM; we licensed the data for stroke order diagrams from a different source on iOS (requiring us to pay new per-copy royalties).
Due to Apple policies, we do not support transfers from the Android to the iOS version of Pleco at the present time, nor do we anticipate doing so in the near future. Apple makes an exception to their policies for e-books, though (= dictionaries), so if your Android purchases include some add-on dictionaries contact us and we may be able to activate those on iOS for you.
If you’d like to use Pleco on both iOS and Android, we recommend purchasing it on iOS, since copies purchased on iOS can be transferred to Android and you can continue using them on iOS even after you make that transfer.
How to Transfer
- Install Basic Version. Go to itunes.com/apps/PlecoChineseDictionary to download and install the free basic version of Pleco on your iPhone / iPod / iPad. (you can also search iTunes or App Store for “Pleco” and tap on the free “Pleco Chinese Dictionary” app)
- Test Software. Launch Pleco and try it out for a minute or two to make sure it works correctly – don’t register it yet, though.
- Transfer License. Go to the My Orders page on our website, log in, and click on the button under “Change to iPhone / iPad / iPod Touch Version” for the Palm / WM license you want to switch over to iOS. Read through / fill out the form on the bottom of the page, and click “Submit” to switch your license over.
- Activate Software. On the transfer confirmation page, you’ll see a 12-letter Registration ID code. Open Pleco, tap on the menu button at the bottom-right corner of the screen, tap “Settings,” tap on “Enter Registration ID” under “Registration,” enter that ID in the box, and tap “Submit.” You’ll also be sent this ID code in a confirmation email; that confirmation email will also include a link you can tap on (if viewed on your iPhone / iPod / iPad) to activate the software without having to type in anything.
- Start Using Pleco! See the tutorial if you need help finding your way around. We haven’t gotten around to writing a guide specifically for people moving over from another platform yet, but the demo video here (or hereif you can’t access YouTube) should give you a pretty good idea of how the basic interface works.See this forum post for an outline of how to transfer your old Pleco flashcard database from Palm/WM to iOS.